Shop Sauer Stones
Sauer Stones are pure glass weights designed to fit wide mouth Mason jars. They are used to keep fermenting veggies submerged below the brine, where they are safe from mold-inducing oxygen. As a pure glass product, there are some things to keep in mind:
- Always wash before use. Hand washing with warm soapy water, or cleaning in the top rack of the dishwasher is fine. Avoid steam or extreme heat settings.
- Avoid boiling, freezing, and temperature changes. Drastic temperature changes can cause glass to crack. Avoid putting a hot Stone into cold brine, and generally try to avoid temperature fluctuations.
- Store in the original box. Sauer Stones are packaged in a handy storage box. Storing safely will prevent bumps and trauma over time which can weaken, chip, or crack your weights.
Shop Sauer System
The Sauer System is an airlock kit designed to fit wide mouth Mason jars. It allows fermentation gases to escape the jar safely without allowing oxygen in to harm your ferment. To use, simply follow these simple instructions:
- Assemble the lid by inserting the ring gasket into the channel snugly.
- Insert the grommet into the hole in the center of the lid.
- Screw lid onto any wide mouth Mason jar.
- Insert airlock into the grommet hole, and fill 2/3 of the way up with water. Place the cap on the airlock.
- That's it! When done, you can remove the airlock, and replace with the silicone stopper before transferring to the fridge.
- All parts except the airlock can be washed in the dishwasher. Wash the airlock by hand.
- Monitor the airlock water level regularly and refill as necessary to maintain a barrier between your ferment and the outside air.